Monday 18 February 2013

Pretty Prison Dream


Clutching a pile of folded fabrics and smelling like a new born, I walked into the cell, and the metal bars slammed shut behind me, like in the films. My new roommate looked up at me and smiled. I wasn’t sure how to take it; it appeared sincere and warm, but in the climate, I remained unsure. Still, I smiled back and nodded my head. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out, then she returned to her writing. She was using a tiny pencil and what I came to know was the standard issue lined letter writing paper, A5 wide, wafer thin. She had three piles of the stuff under her bed, and a sharpener. No envelopes, no binding; certainly no paperclips or staples, thank God. How much damage might a small pencil do? I asked myself. I wasn't sure if she heard, so I cleared my throat. She shook her head. I heard my voice asking her if she was writing a book and why she didn’t use the library computers. I didn't get a reply so I lay down and turned to face the wall. I made my peace with death and drifted off.